January 7, 2011

John Truby on Genre

Just finished reading an article in Script Magazine that talked about the importance of genre in writing a movie script1. Since I always thought genre was just a setting, it really opened my eyes about how it can help the writer build his story.  The article is by John Truby, a recognized screenwriting instructor in Hollywood.  Basically, the article points out that genre helps the writer:
  • Develop the main character by providing a desire line with which he must be aligned. (What is my motivation?)
  • Categorize the relationship between hero and villain, or even define who is the villain.
  • Develop the plot by providing standard story beats around which to build the story.
  • Provide a deep thematic question that the story attempts to answer or express.
Truby then goes on to say that once you've established the core genre, transcend it by making your hero unique and human and by twisting the story beats ever so slightly.
Since nobody really reads this blog, I thought it was a good place to record that I liked this article.  Someday when I'm scanning through all depressed, maybe I'll remember how cool the article was and read it again.
1Script Magazine, Volume 17/Number 1, January/February 2011; Genres: The Secret to Your Success pp 22,23; John Truby

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whisper in the Giant's ear.