January 18, 2011

Geocaching Revisited

For Christmas in 2005, a Garmin eTrex Legend GPS receiver.  Shortly after getting it, I registered with Geocaching.com and got started looking for caches.  After finding a few, I never looked at the world the same again. It seemed that somewhere, lurking out there under every rock, in every tree, there was a cache waiting to be found.

So why am I bringing it up now?  On one of my early trips, I took my brother-in-law.  He is a pragmatic guy, but he's also an outdoorsman.  He was skeptical.  Why waste money to buy a device that helps you find dumb stuff? On our trip, we happened to find a cache stashed in the burned out remains of an old log home.  All that was left was the stone basement.  The idea that this tool could take you places you've never been before hooked him hard.  He became a regular fanatic!  Long after I had given up on the hobby, he still contacted me, telling me about his latest GPS purchase, all the cool maps he's downloaded, caches he has found, etc.

He came up to visit this weekend.  Naturally, we were compelled to go.  We tromped around in six inches of snow looking for small canisters containing baubles that nobody wants.  But we were in a graveyard that has got to be the coolest graveyard around!  I love graveyards.  Someday I hope to spend a lot of time in one.  But, alas, I can only dream.  Anyway, I'm hooked again.  I've fired up my obsolete unit and expect to go on hunts at every opportunity.

It really is fun.  Give it a try!  ... But who am I talking to?  LOL!  I might as well be talking to the dead.

1 comment:

  1. I love graveyards. Someday I hope to spend a lot of time in one.

    HAH!

    ReplyDelete

Whisper in the Giant's ear.